Coleman and Trudy live in Oklahoma on an inlet of Grand Lake.  They were members of my first parish in the Kansas City area.  They have a beautiful rustic setting and appreciate wildlife, especially the birds, as do we.  They brought Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ (from Kansas City).  We ate and talked and mostly enjoyed the birds.  The birds were very active, busy all the while we were watching. It was rainy all day, but never really rained. It seems as if the birds spend more time at the feeders on rainy days.

Mary Ann started getting fired up for a hallucination day this morning.  She was up a cluster of times, especially toward morning.  We got up sometime between 6am and 7am.  I got Mary Ann dressed and fed, then washed her hair in preparation for the company.  She was doing a lot of hallucinating, not as intense as some days, but on her way to unmanageable.

After a time, she lay her head down on the table.  When we headed in for a bathroom trip, she sort of wilted and ceased to be able to do much to help in transferring from the wheel chair to the toilet stool.  I was concerned that I might not be able to get her back to the chair.  She was not completely limp, so I was able to get her into the chair and then into bed.  This was a bit of a new twist on her condition, although I tend for forget quickly what we have been through before unless it was particularly traumatic.  Forgetfulness is sometimes a blessing!

I was concerned that she might be down and unable to respond for the entire visit today.  As it turned out, after an hour or so of sleep, I was able to get her up in time for their arrival.  She did pretty well for most of the three hour visit.  Trudy is a good friend to Mary Ann and has been for decades.  She kept Mary Ann engaged as much as possible.  Coleman and Trudy are both valued friends to me also.  We seem to have a lot of interests in common (especially Grandchildren).

Mary Ann did lay her head down for a while, but perked up again until they had to get on the road.  While yesterday Mary Ann fainted every time she stood up, today she almost never fainted.  The hallucinations were not apparent during the time of the visit, but they have fired up again this evening.  Mary Ann decided she wanted a bowl of cereal since she only had an applesauce snack since lunch and chocolate cake, plus rhubarb pie later in the afternoon.  While at the table eating the cereal, she jumped and described an exciting sight.  She saw the flowering plant on the deck just outside the window, move and throw quills, as in a porcupine.  She has said more than once that she slept through the day.  Each time I reminded her about Coleman and Trudy’s visit — which she always then remembered. It is hard to imagine that there will be much sleeping tonight.  She just went back to bed, but I don’t expect her to stay there for long.

She has had the additional half tablet of Seroquel the last two mornings.  She takes one and a half pills at night.  The purpose of the Seroquel is to diminish the hallucinations.  It has the side effects of causing drowsiness and sometimes low blood pressure dizziness.  The last two days have not yet produced any behavior that can definitely be connected with the additional Seroquel.  Mary Ann’s dramatically varied manifestations of her stable of diseases, makes it very difficult to discern what might be the result of a med change unless there are either new symptoms or a very obvious change in symptoms that goes on for a number of days.

The complex and difficult task of figuring what to prescribe, how much to give and when to give it, makes me wonder how it is possible for a physician to make such a call in ten or fifteen minutes at an office visit.  I will wait another couple of days before calling the doctor’s office with a report on the impact of the new dosage of Seroquel.

Here eyes are still open.  I wonder what the night will be like?